Labels

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Nuzlocke: It's my first time, be gentle.

As some of you may have heard, I began my first ever Pokemon nuzlocke challenge on my Soul Silver game recently. (For those unfamiliar with what a nuzlocke is, check out this article for more info) As someone who has been playing these games since they first came out in '96, I can say that this is the most stressful play through of my life. LOL

Being a purist, I took Totodile as my first starter. After discussing with billielightning about the general rules for nuzlockes, we decided it would be fair to wait for any route-based restrictions to go into effect until I have received pokeballs from May. I have mostly been playing in the evenings, so I had a feeling my first catch would be a Hoothoot, and I'm glad it was. Previous playthroughs have proven Noctowl to be a great presence on a team, and his ability to take a hit and put things to sleep will be invaluable.

I kept going (beat Joey and his top percentage Rattata) through that first route, and the next Pokemon I encountered officially was Pidgey. Welp, screw that, this route's a bust. However, I remembered that Dark Cave was on this route. There are only three Pokes in that cave: Geodude, Zubat, and Dunsparce. I figured I had a 2/3 chance for something I would actually use... and I got a Geodude! Thank goodness. Otherwise that first Flying-type gym was gonna be a pain in the ass.


Lastly, I managed to get through Sprout Tower in Violet Town thanks to Hoothoot. Motherfucker learned Peck JUST before heading in there, so he jumped up in levels since (only having Totodile and Geodude otherwise) no one else could get through all those vine whips.

Falkner wasn't too bad. Between Geodude tossing rocks around and Totodile raging through Pidgeotto, we did all right. I just get so nervous playing on a nuzlocke! I haven't lost anyone yet, and it scares me to think I might. Every random critical hit from an enemy Pokemon stops my heart. LOL

I had just gotten through Violet Town and obtained my first badge. Got Rock Smash from the dude up by the 'weird tree' and toured Ruins of Alph but couldn't remember how to access anything. The next route to the south I was nervous to see what would come up... and it was an Ekans! I've never used an Arbok before, just raised one for Pokedex. The poison type element should come in handy later, but for now he's really weak.

Here's my current team:

OT: Merlin (1:58)
Arthur (Totodile), level 12
Lancelot (Hoothoot), level 14
Iseult (Geodude), level 11
Tristan (Ekans), level 6

More updates to come! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment