Labels

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Don't Make Me Hitmonchan You

That was a terrible joke. I'm very sorry.
Hello folks! Hope your week has been great! Mine has been okay. I may or may not have lost my job due to my credit load at school. But that's not important now. Today I'm here to post! Yay!
Lately, I've been running into a particular issue over and over again on the interwebs and in real life. Maybe you've seen it, too.
I'm a nerd. And, brace yourself, I'm a girl.

Holy Heracross in a hand basket! No freaking way, right?

....



I can't believe I still have to talk about this. My personal experience ranges from people not taking my love and passion for nerdy things seriously to being harassed because of my interests. "Whoa! A girl in the comic shop! Let's go hit on her because she's a rare breed!"
No. Firstly, I'm taken. Regardless of this fact, the only reason you think I'm a rare breed is because a lot of geek women are hesitant to go into comic shops and the like because they'll be harassed or bothered or they won't be taken seriously. And that's sad. I shouldn't have to brace myself for stares of awkward nerds every time I go to pick up my X Men comics or get new card sleeves.

Look. Most of my friends are awkward, nerdy guys (no offense!) and I adore them. They are the greatest. But the reason I'm friends with them is because they didn't blink an eye at my gender. They recognized that I was passionate about something they too were passionate about and we were friends ever since. They didn't test me. They didn't say "Name all 649 Pokemon" or "Who was the first Green Lantern?" You know why? Because they aren't jerks. I don't have to prove myself to you or anyone.

I am a nerd. Deal with it.
/endrant

Anyways, sorry. I had to get that off of my chest. For those of you interested in this type of thing there are a lot of women and outlets for this type of discussion. Some of my personal favorites are Geeky Peacock (who is one of the seven interns in Stan Lee's "Fangasm" on Syfy. WATCH IT!), Geeky Hostess, anything Felicia Day and Wil Wheaton are involved in, and Meghan Tonje's on youtube.

Have an awesome day! And enjoy this Hitmonchan that's had a rough day ;)
<3Billie


p.s. I was going to draw his buddies waiting at a table for drinks. Which fighting Pokemon should I include? Comment below and I'll draw the two most popular suggestions!


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. But then he'd have type advantage on his two best friends! OMG HE SHOULD TRY AND HIT ON SOME LADY MILOTIC OR SOMETHING

      Delete